Thursday 14 February 2013

Origins and a tribute


This video plays a unique and memorable sound that is now missing from Dartmoor Zoological Park.

It belongs to an African Lion by the name of Solomon, who sadly passed away this month at the age of 17 (almost 18) years old. As far as lions go, that's a very grand age to reach; in the wild most lions wouldn't last past the age of 13. The record in captivity apparently is age 25, but Solomon wasn't out to set any records by any means. Born in Heythrop Zoo, Oxfordshire, Solly came to Sparkwell, Plymouth at the age of 3 under Dartmoor Zoological Park's previous management. There he met two lioness' Emma and Peggy, and eventually had cubs of his own, one of which still lives at Dartmoor Zoo today, by the name of Josie.


Dartmoor Zoo's enclosures undergo great changes with the seasons. Many animals, including Solomon were fond of the changes of plant life, and always took a chance to soak up the sun. Lions are actually rather nervous animals; in this photo Solomon is keeping an eye out while his daughter gets some rest. 

This post may seem unusual at first glance. Why would I devote an entire entry to a single animal? Truth be told, Solomon was the animal that convinced me I wanted to work with animals, therefore talking about this highly influenctial animal will give me a chance to talk about my roots in the professional world of animal care and education. Before the summer of 2007 I had worked as a volunteer at a local cats' and dogs' home, with minimal animal care. The majority of my time was spent doing cleaning and grounds-work, and interacting very little with the animals. At this point in time I honestly saw myself heading in a different direction altogether career wise. Then one day our family saw an advertisement in the local papers at Dartmoor Zoological Park's reopening. I was always curious about the place and wondered why we'd never visited under the park's previous management. Despite anticipating the rush of the crowds and media, we went along out of sheer curiosity alone. It was a task in itself to see the animals for all the cameras and press staff pushing and shoving their way to the fences of the enclosures. Here after all was a place that had escaped from a dreadful fate. This was annoying to say the least; I had really wanted to see the zoo's famed big cats, and felt like I'd walk away without so much as a glimpse.

I didn't realise it but I learnt something that day; the first of many facts I would pass on to guest after guest about African Lions. Although they can see their reflections they can't recognise themselves. Solomon and Josie were already on edge at the sudden appearance of so many people on their turf, but seeing themselves - "new" lions - in all these camera lenses made them put up a guard even more. Lions are by nature very skittish animals, as is true in a lot of social animals, and Solomon made every effort to charge towards crowds, thus scaring them away from being so close to the fence! At one point, he did so when I was about to give up and walk away from his enclosure. I took the chance to slip in and view a real life lion for the first time. I wasn't to be disappointed. Only moments later Solomon and Josie banded together in a roar that I won't soon forget. I spent a good deal of time watching their behaviours in pure fascination. This rubbed off on all the other animals for the rest of the day; I was eager to go back whenever I got the chance, although at the time I thought I'd return as just another guest.


Being a social animal, Solomon bonded with people to different degrees. For example those who fed him but never shut him indoors were more in his favour, and vice versa. Here is an example of one of his silly faces when a pair of keepers - one of which he liked and one he disliked - came to feed him. His wide eyes demonstrate his alert nature, but his mouth currently does not show teeth; clearly he wasn't sure if he should be happy or angry!


November 2007. The papers advertised Dartmoor Zoo again, only this time they call for help. The zoo had an upcoming education department and urgently required volunteers to help with either grounds-work or taking care of a collection of reptiles and insects. At first I thought I could help clean up the zoo grounds, but thanks to my parents helping calm my nerves, I decided to try the animal care side. Although I recall my shaky first impressions - I didn't know the difference between a turtle and a tortoise! - I also recall how much I achieved in a single year. Me and a close knit band of volunteers helped create an entire zoological education department out of a dark, dusty office and what had previously been the zoo's shop and office. As we expanded, my duties began to reach out across the zoo. When the keepers needed help, they knew they could call us anytime. Thanks to this I have:

  • Helped raise a group of Coatimundi babies.
  • Helped train a tiger to be used to a complete strange.
  • Created public talks, signage and enrichment in co-operation with the keepers.
  • Prepare food and nutritional supplements for big cats, mammals, birds and reptiles.
  • Maintain enclosures, come rain or shine!
  • Make valuable contributions to the zoo.

Solomon trying his hardest to open a hanging sack filled with food. Lions are by no means the strongest of the big cats, so this took him a good while to rip open.

About half a year after completing our education department's base of operations, we were able to begin public talks. These started off rather basic. At first I was only sharing basic facts about Agoutis and Otters, but only a month later I was able to pass on my own custom-made presentation about the zoo's African Lions. In life I'm normally a very anxious, socially shy person, but even in the face of massive crowds, I feel all my fear wash away when I do what I do best.

From then on I've had a lot of unusual stories to tell, and I always strive to share them with our visitors. When it comes to Solomon and Josie, there is so much I can share. I've witnessed these lions share food, climb trees, play with toys, quake in fear and even hug each other. One of my fondest memories was when we gave Solomon his first large enrichment toy under new management; a cardboard giraffe. Despite pooling a lot of time into our building of the giraffe, it was so shaky it could hardly stand up on its own accord. Solomon watched us from indoors as we tried propping it up against a tree. He may not have been the smartest lion in the world, but he knew to simply tap the model to knock it over, rather than put more effort than necessary into it. Since then I've been back with many other toys, and I've always attended the zoo on Boxing Day to offer that little bit  more to the animals who would otherwise be forgotten at Christmas if it wasn't for people like us who see them as more than just "animals." From frozen blocks of blood to hanging sacks to a hollowed-out land rover  Solomon, Josie and I seem to go way back, which only makes his passing worse... 


Boxing Day at the zoo. Solomon enjoys a Christmas present of his own.

I've worked with animals who have passed away before, many of which are lions, and it never really gets easier to handle when you get to know them so well. They become more than just an animal with a human-given name. Below is a selection of photos of other lions who helped me get where I am today.




 Rwanda, Rufigi and Ruma - Some of the lions I worked with in 2010 and 2012 in Zambia. The first photo was taken only 1 week before Rwanda died of a skeletal disorder that claimed his sisters 2 years before himself. Despite his suffering, he was always closely bonded to his fellow lions and handlers; I look forward to sharing more about my experience with these lions in the future.



 Charlie - Originally from Longleat Safari Park, Charlie moved to Newquay Zoo for 2011 to give his half-sister Connie company. He was the most nervous lion I've ever seen, with a roar that could only just be heard from next door at our college. He died of old age in the same year, but he and Connie gave me valuable insight into how life in animal care and education will be, and helped me raise funds for the African Lion and Environmental Research Trust in summer 2011.


Solomon died peacefully early February 2013. I'll be honest, myself and others who have known him shed some tears, but he has left a long lasting legacy. His daughter Josie. The keepers and volunteers of Dartmoor Zoo. And of course myself. It's strange to go back and see Josie on her own, but I will personally see to it that she becomes social again. Even lions get depressed, but I can't let Solomon down after coming this far can I? 

Rest in peace.






No comments:

Post a Comment